Monday, February 13, 2006

Bart's PE Builder Bootdisk CD

I used Bart's PE Builder for the first time today, and it surely made this netadmin's life boocoo easier. Had a XP PC do a BSOD, so I set up the external hard drive to Ghost the image back on. No joy as the HDD had bad sectors. Had bookmarked BPE a while back for "its and grins." Fifteen minutes later I'm running format and chkdisk, happy as the proverbial clam. Once the two were finished, Ghost worked fine and dandy. Only problem I had was during the build, the verify reported the NTOSKRNL.EXE wasn't found. Evidently when BPEB copied it from the i386 CAB to te c:\pebuilder3110, it was renamed to NTKRNLMP.EXE. Twas no biggie, I just copied the NTKRNLMP.EXE to a second file and renamed it to NTOSKRNL.EXE. Probably some fix on the forum site, but as I got it to work, I didn't worry with it.

Has a bunch of plugins you can add to the basic disk. If you so desire, you can write your own plugins as well. Seven stars out of seven for this gem.